The burgers can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking, or you can freeze uncooked burgers for up to one month.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp milled Chia Bia chia seed, plus 6 tbsp water
- 250g canned black beans, drained weight
- 150g canned borlotti beans, drained weight
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 30g gluten-free oat flour; oats ground to flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Mix together the Milled Chia Seed and water to make chia “eggs” and set to one side for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, blitz the beans to a coarse paste consistency leaving a few beans here and there intact.
- Add tomato paste, oat flour, garlic powder and all seasonings to the beans, along with the chia “eggs” and mix well to combine.
- Divide the mixture into four large patties. If you have time, chill for an hour before cooking, but if you’re short on time you can cook them straight away.
- You can cook them in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 180C; fry them in a pan for about four minutes on either side; grill them; or pop them in the oven for about 15-18 minutes at 180C. All the options!
- Serve in your buns, with toppings and condiments.
The Chia Bia range is available at chiabia.com and Holland & Barrett
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe