Try serving this with chopped parsley and creme fraiche dip for a lunchtime snack.
For a vegan option, make without bacon and use a vegan cheese.
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
Check out maplefromcanada.co.uk for more maple recipes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g peeled and grated white potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 150g grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan and fry bacon over high heat until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel to drain excess fat.
- In the same pan, add maple syrup and onion, fry until soft.
- Put grated potatoes into a clean tea towel and wring out the excess water.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in flour, chilli flakes, cheese and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape portions of mixture into balls and flatten down into round potato disks.
- Reheat pan with extra oil and fry 2-3 potato discs at a time until crisp, turning over to cook on both sides.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe