Cooking time: 1 hour Serves: 8
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 600g frozen spinach, thawed
- 375g ricotta, drained
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- 6 British Lion eggs
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2tsp sesame or poppy seeds
- 24 cm loose bottomed cake or tart tin, oiled
- Heat oven to gas mark 5/190C/170C fan.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add onion and cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- 2Add the garlic and cook for a further minute then remove from the heat.
- Squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the thawed spinach and roughly chop. Add to the pan and mix in the ricotta, Parmesan, two eggs and season with lots of pepper.
- Lightly brush each sheet of filo with the remaining oil. Lay each sheet into the oiled tin, giving each sheet a sixth of a turn, leaving the excess pastry overhanging.
- Scatter the base with breadcrumbs and spoon in the spinach filling.
- Make 4 deep indents in the filling, then crack an egg into each.
- Roughly fold over the excess pastry and gently dab with any remaining oil. Scatter with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until cooked through. Cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a serving plate.
Thanks to British Lion Eggs and eggrecipes.co.uk
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe