MEATLOAF is a hearty dish and this one is economical, too, as it feeds 6-8 people.
This recipe has big hits of flavour from the blue cheese.
It also has a generous ketchup glaze.
The key is not to overcook it, and you’re sure to enjoy a tasty meal.
You will need:
- 10g unsalted butter
- 8 slices smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, diced l 2 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 750g minced beef l 250g sausagemeat
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bunch of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 med eggs l 150g tomato ketchup
- 90g Roquefort cheese, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C (325F).
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then fry the chopped bacon until crisp.
- Add celery, onions, pepper and pinch of salt and stir. Cover, cook for 15 mins until soft, adding the garlic for the final 2 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to cool a little.
- Put the beef, sausagemeat, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, breadcrumbs, eggs and a third of the ketchup in a large bowl. Tip in the veg and bacon. Mix well.
- Fry a small patty of the mixture in pan for a couple of mins on each side. Check seasoning.
- Spread a third of the ketchup in a loaf tin, covering the base. Add one-third of the meat mix and spread out. Top with the sliced cheese.
- Add the remaining meat mixture and press down gently to form dome shape. Spread the remaining ketchup over the top of the meat, cover the meatloaf tightly with foil. Place the pan on a roasting tray. Bake for 1 hour and 15 mins.
- Rest the meatloaf for 15 mins, then gently turn out of the tin and place on a board. Serve in slices. This is delicious with a fried egg and French fries.
Recipe from BYRON: The Cookbook by Tom Byng and Fred Smith (Quadrille £20)
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe