You can make this moussaka ahead of time then freeze for up to a month.
Just set the prepared dish aside until cooled to room temperature, cover with a layer of clingfilm followed by a layer of foil, and label clearly.
Defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 mins Serves: 6
- Butter for greasing
- A splash of olive oil
- 115g frozen, chopped onions
- 2 tsp frozen, chopped garlic
- 500g minced lamb
- 2 x 400g cans whole tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp dried mixed Italian herbs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 500g frozen, roasted aubergines
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 200g feta cheese,
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Grease a large baking dish with butter.
- Heat oil in large pan, add onions, garlic and minced lamb and cook, stirring continuously, for 5-7 mins over a medium heat, until browned.
- Drain excess fat then add tomatoes, tomato purée, dried herbs and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer and leave to cook for 20 mins.
- Using scissors, snip the frozen aubergine slices into 2.5cm strips and layer half in the base of your prepared dish. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together the ricotta, feta and beaten egg, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Once the meat has finished simmering, pour the mix into a baking dash over the layer of aubergines, ensuring it reaches the edges in an even layer. Top with another layer of aubergines, then pour the cheese and egg mix over the top and spread.
- Transfer to the oven, 180C or gas mark 4 for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
Recipe from The Batch Lady: Shop Once. Cook Once. Eat Well All Week, by Suzanne Mulholland, published by HQ, out now
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe