Shamed former finance minister Derek Mackay’s role with the Boys’ Brigade was under review last night.
The MSP is currently honorary vice-president of the BB’s Paisley Battalion but that is being examined after he sent hundreds of social media messages to a 16-year-old boy.
Acting Brigade secretary Jonathan Eales confirmed Mr Mackay held the post, but told us: “In light of recent allegations this will now be subject to review.”
He added: “I can confirm that Derek Mackay is not a volunteer youth leader within The Boys’ Brigade and has no active role working with our young people.
“He holds an honorary position in Paisley & District Battalion which is restricted to being a supporter of our work.”
His links with the local BB section go back more than a decade to the period when he was leader of Renfrewshire council leader and presented awards at civic receptions.
The review comes as a number of other organisations distanced themselves from Mackay. It emerged yesterday that police have spoken to the boy involved in the scandal, although no criminal complaint has been received.
Mackay resigned his finance post hours before he was due to present the Scottish budget and after The Scottish Sun revealed Mackay sent 270 messages on Instagram and Facebook to the boy over a six-month period.
Yesterday, the boy told the paper: “I was happy to speak to the police and will tell them everything that happened. I didn’t think what he was doing was a crime, but I knew it was wrong and should be highlighted.”
Mackay, 42, who has also been suspended from the SNP pending investigation, called the youngster “cute” in his messages while offering to take him to a rugby game and out to dinner.
Opposition politicians condemned what they described as “predatory” behaviour, saying the messages amounted to “grooming”.
Mackay, a father-of-two who came out as gay in 2013, has not been seen in public since the story broke on Wednesday night.
It was later reported that the Renfrewshire North and West MSP, who had been tipped as a future successor to First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, also sent dozens of unwanted messages to an SNP activist over a period of four years.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said yesterday: “We have not received any complaint of criminality. However, we are currently assessing available information. We would encourage anyone with information to please come forward.
“Police Scotland will always listen to anyone who wishes to seek advice or formally report a matter to us.”
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe