Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

There shouldn’t have been nuts in my meal… They nearly killed me: Allergy victim calls for menu alerts as she sues Edinburgh restaurant

Hannah Kidd, who suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating humus that contained peanuts in a restaurant (Andrew Cawley / DC Thomson)
Hannah Kidd, who suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating humus that contained peanuts in a restaurant (Andrew Cawley / DC Thomson)

A WOMAN with a food allergy is suing a restaurant –after eating hummus with peanuts in it.

Hannah Kidd became so ill at the top Edinburgh eatery after eating the dip laced with peanut butter that an ambulance had to be called.

Now, backed by politicians, she is calling for new rules to force restaurants to list ingredients on menus.

A family day out last February almost ended in tragedy when the tax office worker ate toast and hummus – unaware the restaurant chef had allegedly added peanuts to a dish usually made from chickpeas, oil, lemon and garlic.

Hannah, 24, from Glasgow, is scrupulous about avoiding peanuts after discovering that even touching nuts leaves her breathless and causes her skin to erupt.

She said: “Even having peanuts in the same room can cause my lips to swell and my throat to itch. When I eat out I ask waiters endless questions about any dishes that tend to have nuts.

“I’ve never known anyone to add peanuts to simple hummus, so I thought it was safe to eat.

“Within moments, I went into allergic shock.”

Hannah is now set to take legal action against the restaurant.

Her aunt Jacqueline Bryceland, 51, a nurse from Stirling, said that when they checked with the kitchen, they were told the chef had added peanut butter to the hummus.

“But there was no mention of that ingredient on the menu,” she said.

Hannah after the attack.

After Hannah became unwell, her uncle James, 59, waved down a taxi to take her to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

“Hannah was struggling to breathe and kept saying, ‘I’m going to die, I’m going to die’,” he said. “She was terrified, and so was I.”

Hannah added: “I really thought I wasn’t going to make it and wanted to leave a note for my family and boyfriend to tell them how much I love them.”

Last night, Labour MSP Neil Findlay said there should be government consideration to ensure “restaurants and those selling food make customers aware of any dishes which include nuts”.

Fellow MSP John Mason agreed: “This is an issue we need to look closely at.”

Restaurants are not currently required by law to anticipate customer allergies, with sufferers encouraged to check if dishes contain traces of nuts while ordering.

A spokesman for the venue where Hannah dined said: “As the matter is in the hands of our insurers, we have been advised not to comment.”

Nicola Thompson, of Thompsons Solicitors, said: “It is vital establishments serving food make clear to their customers what ingredients are used in the preparation, especially where nuts are not traditionally expected to be one of the main ingredients.

“In Hannah’s case this did not happen which led to the awful allergic reaction from peanut butter being present in the humus served to her.”

Amena Warner, of Allergy UK, said: “Food labelling legislation requires restaurants to provide clear and reliable information on request of a consumer. Further clarity on menus is vital to safeguard people.”

 

One mouthful left Amy May brain-damaged and in a wheelchair

(S Meddle/ITV/REX/Shutterstock)

Like Hannah, ITV This Morning producer Amy May Shead was diagnosed as having a nut allergy as a child.

On holiday in Hungary in 2014, Amy May was assured the meal she was eating in a Budapest restaurant did not contain any nuts.

However, Amy May suffered a severe allergic reaction to the food, despite immediately injecting herself with an adrenaline-filled an EpiPen, and went into cardiac arrest.

Now 29, Amy May was left brain damaged and in a wheelchair. She requires 24-hour a day care.

Her father Roger told Eamon Holmes how his daughter “died” for six minutes and ambulance staff battled for half an hour to bring her back.

Mum Sue revealed her daughter was only given a 30% chance of survival. She said: “The chef was informed about the severe allergy, but Amy May went into severe anaphylactic shock after just one mouthful.”

Allergy UK say peanut allergies in kids have doubled in the past 10 years.