THE city of Malaga has often been overlooked as a holiday destination and is usually only dipped in and out of by visitors using the airport as the gateway to the Costa Del Sol’s popular beach resorts.
Malaga has so much to offer and is the perfect location for either a short city break or a twin centre trip with one of the coastal hotspots.
Steeped in folklore and culture with a bustling arts scene you won’t find yourself bored in this vibrant Spanish city. On a short break here you can enjoy a journey through the rich tapestry of the city’s colourful history by combining museum trips and visits to the many beautiful churches with some retail therapy.
There are some fantastic designer shops and department stores in Malaga as well as quaint boutiques selling locally produced crafts and fashion. In the evenings you can always take in some authentic flamenco shows. In fact, I insist. It is Andalusia after all!
Dubbed the capital of the Costa del Sol, Malaga boasts two eighth-century citadels, the Alacazaba and the Gibralfaro, which dominate the city skyline. A combined ticket will gain you entry to both, and inside you can explore the castle and battlements, and enjoy stunning views over the whole city.
Another must see is the Picasso Museum, devoted to one of the world’s most celebrated artists, Pueblo Picasso who was born in Malaga in 1881.
Malaga is such an exciting place to be and with some great deals on flights and hotels from our friends at talkholiday you could be off on an Andalusian adventure of your own and it won’t cost the earth either.
Find your perfect holiday
Here are some of the top things to do in when you get there:
- Discover the story of Malaga born artist Pablo Picasso at the Picasso Museum
- Chill Out in Alameda Botanic Gardens, for a peaceful afternoon
- Get your feet tapping along to real Spanish flamenco at Kelipe Centre de Arte de Flamenco
- Enjoy a morning coffee or some lunchtime tapas in Constitution Square in the heart of the city
- Spend a day at the dazzling new waterfront complex Muelle Uno, the open-air mall that offers a contemporary shopping and dining experience by the sea, with stunning views of La Alcazaba.
Check out these great prices on Malaga city breaks and attractions: