Nicola Sturgeon will be asked to give evidence in person next week by MSPs investigating the Scottish Government’s handling of sexual harassment complaints against Alex Salmond.
The former First Minister, who has accused his successor of misleading parliament, was due to give evidence on Tuesday, followed by Ms Sturgeon the following week.
However, Mr Salmond has rejected the request to appear on Tuesday, citing concern about travel restrictions and the Crown Office warning he might face prosecution if he discusses evidence disclosed to him during preparations for his criminal trial. Mr Salmond has suggested February 16 instead.
MSPs had planned to call Ms Sturgeon after him, but with the parliament set to be dissolved in March ahead of this year’s Holyrood election they still want to call her next week.
Lib Dem committee member Alex Cole-Hamilton MSP said: “It is absolutely certain that the committee will hear from the FM in person. She has insisted on her willingness to come to the committee.”
Ms Sturgeon has previously said she would give evidence “whenever the committee decides to call me”.
A spokesman for the First Minister yesterday declined to comment but said she flatly rejected Mr Salmond’s claims of a conspiracy against him and has said she would be happy to give evidence whenever invited.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe