Five people being tested in Scotland for coronavirus have been given the all-clear.
England’s chief medical officer confirmed after a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergency committee in Whitehall this afternoon that all fourteen people checked in the UK were free of the virus.
Professor Chris Whitty said that checks are ongoing on a number of other people.
All of those tested in the UK so far had visited the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the outbreak of the disease originated.
Four of the five patients tested in Scotland were Chinese nationals. The Scottish Government says two of those tested had already been diagnosed with flu, while three others were checked as a precautionary measure.
There are over 800 confirmed cases of the virus worldwide. 26 people have died from it so far in China.
A Downing Street spokesman said there were still no confirmed cases in the UK, and Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who chaired today’s Cobra meeting, said the risk to the public “remains low”.
Anyone who has been in China or other areas where cases of infection have been reported within the last fortnight, and are experiencing respiratory symptoms, has been advised to contact their GP or NHS 24.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe