Tony Docherty says Aberdeen have moved from disappointment of cup final defeat to determination to beat Rangers

Aberdeen assistant manager Tony Docherty (SNS Group)

ASSISTANT boss Tony Docherty claims Aberdeen moved from disappointment to determination immediately after Sunday’s Betfred Cup final defeat to Celtic at Hampden Park.

The Dons suffered their third successive final loss to Brendan Rodgers’ side with Ryan Christie’s first-half strike enough to keep the trophy at Parkhead.

Afterwards Aberdeen retreated to their hotel on the outskirts of Glasgow to get ready for their Ladbrokes Premiership clash with leaders Rangers at Ibrox on Wednesday night.

Docherty, who revealed winger Gary Mackay-Steven was sent home on Monday as he continues to recover from the concussion he suffered when he clashed heads with Hoops defender Dedryck Boyata, insists spirit in the camp is “very good” as they look to get back on track against the Light Blues.

He said: “We have just lost a cup final but you wouldn’t know it, speaking to the boys and seeing how the boys are around the hotel, there is a real positivity.

“There is a disappointment losing a cup final, of course there is. We have stayed together as a group since the final whistle, we have done everything together.

“We dealt with the disappointment but we have focused on the positivity of how good the performance level was and I think that is important and the boys realise that.

“That process started straight after the game.

“On Monday we recovered, trained and prepared for this game and there is a real good feeling about them because I think they realise that the performance level against most teams in this league will win a lot of games.

“But as good as we are we realise we need to be a bit more clinical to get the goal to win the game.

“Rangers are in good form and great home form so we realise we can’t dwell on it.”

Mackay-Steven was taken from the field on a stretcher in the first half at Hampden and will miss the trip to Ibrox as the Pittodrie club’s medical team monitor his recovery.

Docherty said: “He left yesterday afternoon and considering everything he is in good spirits.

“He went to hospital after the game but they thought he was okay to be let out and we had two doctors at the hotel.

“He was sick that night when he got out of the hospital.

“Apart from a sore head he is making a recovery just now and it is just important that we monitor him and make sure he is okay.

“The medical team is keeping us advised. He has to go through certain tests to make sure he is okay for games coming up.

“Certainly he is ruled out of this game, we will speak to the medical staff with regards how he is at the weekend.

“We had a similar incident with Andrew Considine not that long ago. Andy was monitored by the medical team and went through the process of being ready to come back and play and he has never looked back.”