Remains of Moors Murderer Ian Brady sent to the bottom of the sea after top-secret cremation

Ian Brady (Handout/PA Wire)
Ian Brady (Handout/PA Wire)

MOORS Murderer Ian Brady’s ashes were buried at sea in the middle of the night after a cremation in Southport last Wednesday, it has been confirmed.

The child killer, who used the name Ian Stewart-Brady, died aged 79 on May 15 this year and was incinerated without ceremony.

The body was collected from the mortuary at Royal Liverpool hospital by a Tameside Council official at around 9pm on October 25, court documents show.

Under police escort the corpse was then taken to Southport Crematorium, where the cremation began at 10pm exactly. No music or flowers were allowed.

Following this, Brady’s ashes were placed in a weighted biodegradable urn, driven to Liverpool Marina and later dispatched at sea on Thursday, October 26, at 2.30am.

The serial killer’s crimes shocked the nation as he tortured and murdered five children in the 1960s along with Myra Hindley, who died in prison in 2002.

There were fears the remains of Scottish-born Brady would be scattered on Saddleworth Moor – where they buried four of their victims.

Brady’s executor Robin Makin gave assurances there was “no likelihood” of this happening, but the Chancellor of the High Court, Sir Geoffrey Vos, ruled in October the issue of disposal should be taken out of Mr Makin’s hands.

The Moors Murderer died at Ashworth High Security Hospital in Maghull, Merseyside, having been there since 1985.

Brady and partner Hindley were convicted of luring children and teenagers to their deaths, with their victims sexually tortured before being buried on Saddleworth Moor in the south Pennines.

Pauline Reade, 16, disappeared on her way to a disco on July 12 1963 and John Kilbride, 12, was snatched in November the same year. Keith Bennett was taken on June 16 1964 after he left home to visit his grandmother; Lesley Ann Downey, 10, was lured away from a funfair on Boxing Day 1964; and Edward Evans, 17, was killed in October 1965.

Brady was given whole life sentences for the murders of John, Lesley Ann and Edward.

Hindley was convicted of killing Lesley Ann and Edward and shielding Brady after John’s murder, and jailed for life.

Both later confessed to the murders of Pauline – whose body was found in 1987 – and Keith, whose body has not been discovered.

The mother of Keith Bennett, Winnie Johnson, made repeated requests to Brady to identify where the 12-year-old’s makeshift grave was located, so she could give her boy a proper burial.

She received no reply and died in August 2012 without being able to fulfil her last wish.

An inquest into Brady’s death heard he died of natural causes.

Home Office pathologist Dr Brian Rodgers said the cause of death was cor pulmonale, a form of heart failure, secondary to bronchopneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or lung disease.

The court heard Brady, who was a heavy smoker up until the smoking ban, had “very severely diseased” lungs.

In a statement, Tameside and Oldham councils said: “We are pleased that this matter is now concluded and we are grateful for the support and professionalism shown… to ensure Ian Stewart-Brady’s body and remains were disposed of expediently at sea in a manner compatible with the public interest and those of the victim’s relatives.”


No music at cremation – despite child killer’s last request


No music was allowed to be played at the cremation of Moors Murderer Ian Brady – despite a request from the child killer.

Ian Brady had requested the fifth movement of Hector Berlioz’s Symphony Fantastique be played during the ceremony.

But the piece of music remained a contentious area between Brady’s solicitor Robin Makin and Oldham and Tameside councils.

Both authorities has objected to the music feeling that no music “was preferable”.

And the Chancellor of the High Court, Sir Geoffrey Vos, ruled in October that Brady’s remains must be disposed of with “no music and no ceremony”.

In his ruling, he wrote “I decline to permit the playing of the fifth movement of the Symphony Fantastique at the cremation as Mr Makin requested.

“As the composer’s programme notes describe, the theme and subject of the piece means legitimate offence would be caused to the families of the deceased’s victims once it became known it had been played.

“It was not suggested by Mr Makin that the deceased had requested any other music to be played or any other ceremony to be performed, and in those circumstances, I propose to direct that there be no music and no ceremony.

“I have no difficulty in understanding how legitimate offence would be caused to the families of the deceased’s victims once it became known that this movement had been played at his cremation. I decline to permit it.”


Cremated and sent to the bottom of the sea – Brady’s unceremonious end

9pm – Brady’s body collected from the mortuary at the Royal Liverpool hospital by an appointed official from Tameside council and a pathologist who attended his post-mortem.

Escorted by an unmarked police car with an inspector and sergeant from Merseyside Police, the corpse is transported by road to Southport Crematorium. Brady’s body does not enter any public area and it placed in a standby cremator.

10pm exactly – The cremation begins in the presence of Brady’s solicitor, Robin Makin, the police officers, council officials and two crematorium workers. In accordance with a judge’s order no music was played, there were no flowers and no photographs were taken.

Once the cremation is complete Brady’s ashes are placed in a biodegradable urn made of Himalayan rock salt. The weighted urn is designed to sink to the bottom of the sea immediately before dissolving over a few hours.

The cremator undergoes cleaning by professionals.

Thursday, October 26 2017

12.45am – Brady’s are ashes handed to the Tameside council official and the urn is taken from the crematorium in the unmarked police car to Liverpool Marina.

The urn is taken aboard a boat from the North West Police Underwater Search and Marine Unit accompanied by the council official and police sergeant.

The boat immediately sets out to sea to an undisclosed location.

2.30am – Brady’s remains are jettisoned.