MANCHESTER CITY are ready to reward Pep Guardiola for his Premier League success with £200million to spend in pursuit of further titles, the Daily Mirror reports.
Prime targets are said to be £40million midfielders Jorginho of Napoli and Shakhtar Donetsk’s Fred, as the Spaniard looks to reinforce at least three positions during the transfer window. Having overseen an estimated £448million in deals during his two seasons at the Etihad,
Guardiola’s summer splurge could also see a bid for Monaco’s £90m-rated forward Thomas Lemar, while City could have another shot at Leicester’s £60million winger Riyad Mahrez.
All of the above could be kicked into the long grass by the outcome of a watchdog investigation into City’s acquisition of youngster Benjamin Garre, however.
The Daily Telegraph says City could be banned from registering players for the next two seasons if the Court of Arbitration for Sport sides with his former club, Velez Sarsfield, who claimed the Sky Blues acted unethically by approaching him when he was 15.
According to The Times City will try and persuade Guardiola to stay until 2020. With one year left on his £15million-a-year, three-year contract City chiefs are set to hold talks with the 47-year-old at the end of the season over an extension.
Guardiola is said to be disinclined on staying at any single club for an extended period of time and was at Bayern Munich for three years before arriving in Manchester in 2016.
According to the Times, City are confident they will be able to secure his services for an extra 12 months, which would equal his four-year spell in charge of Barcelona.
Over to the Red half of Manchester and Jose Mourinho is ready to let £89million signing Paul Pogba leave Old Trafford, according to the Daily Mail.
The Portuguese is said to have run out of patience with the France midfielder, 25, after a fractious season and added him to a list of players to be put on the market.
Having arrived to great fanfare ahead of the 2016 season, Pogba has recently been left on the bench or substituted in seven out of his last 11 games.
The Mail says it remains uncertain if he will be in the team for Wednesday’s fixture at Bournemouth, or the far more important FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham on Saturday.
It comes after Guardiola said Pogba was offered to City in January.
Meanwhile, Marcus Rashford is set to put off talks over a new deal after falling down United’s pecking order, The Sun reports.
With two years left on his £70,000-a-week contract and an option to extend by 12 months, United chiefs are said to want to secure the 20-year-old’s services on new terms.
However, with Mourinho undoubtedly aiming to inject vigour into the Red Devils with some big signings over the summer, the forward faces being further overlooked.
Hopes to bring Bordeaux youngster Malcom to north London appear to have been dashed again after the midfielder said joining Paris St Germain would be his “dream”, according to the Mail Online.
The 21-year-old had been linked with Arsenal and Tottenham, although a move to the Premier League over the summer is looking increasingly unlikely as his heart appears set on continental football.
The £44million-rated Brazilian had previously voiced aspirations to join Bayern Munich, although he told beIN Sports: “PSG is the dream too.”
Players to watch
Tom James: Aston Villa and Celtic are interested in the Yeovil defender, 22, according to the Bristol Post.
Trent Alexander-Arnold: Liverpool’s 19-year-old defender has been rewarded with improved terms after racking up a number of appearances, the Daily Telegraph reports.
Clement Lenglet: The £39million Liverpool target, 22, could be coaxed away from Sevilla by Barcelona, according to Football Talk.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe