1. Around the world three cups of tea are drunk for everyone one cup of coffee
2. Happy Birthday to you was the most performed song of the 20th Century . The second most popular was Tea for Two.
3. Back in the 1800s, some men believed that the drinking of tea “made women ugly”. Ale was recommended instead as the drink for a lady!
4. Brits drink 165 million cups of tea a day
5. 98% of cups of tea are taken with milk
6. Despite the number of coffee bars that have opened in the past few years, tea is still far more popular, as only 70 million cups of coffee are drank per day.
7. Over 55s drink the most tea, supping an average of 55 cups a week, while 18 to 24-year-olds drink just eight.
8. There are 30,000 chemicals in tea.
9. Official figures reported 37 people had been injured by tea cosies in 1999
10. In March, scientists claimed that despite those 165 million cups a day that we drink, we don’t actually know how to make it. They believe most people don’t let it brew for long enough.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe