Pep Guardiola insists he will have no complaints if Manchester City do not make further additions to their squad before next month’s transfer deadline.
City have brought in central defender Nathan Ake and winger Ferran Torres in deals worth £40million and £20.9million respectively over the summer and speculation regarding more acquisitions persists.
Napoli’s £70million-rated defender Kalidou Koulibaly has long been considered a target with centre-back having proved a problem position last season.
Even if a Koulibaly deal does not materialise, City are thought to be weighing up other defensive options.
Yet manager Guardiola, whose side begin their 2020-21 Premier League campaign at Wolves on Monday, claims he is ready to run with the squad he already has if necessary.
The City boss said: “Since day one – since I arrived here – I’ve been more than satisfied with the team and the club does everything to do their best, not just for me, but for the team.
“What is going to happen is going to happen. If we have to stay with the players (we have) I’ll be happy, or if we have to move someone (on) – because sometimes it is the player that decides to leave.
“I’ve never before, or in the future will I complain. I’m lucky to have these players and be in this club.”
City’s failure to replace Vincent Kompany last year proved hugely detrimental and his absence was compounded by a long-term injury to Aymeric Laporte. Consequently City’s title defence faltered early on and they were never able to produce a strong challenge to Liverpool.
With Laporte an unlikely starter at Molineux, having only returned to training on Friday following a positive Covid-19 test earlier this month, former Bournemouth defender Ake seems certain to make his debut.
Torres is also in contention with Guardiola saying both players have settled in well since their arrivals.
Guardiola said: “So far really, it is really good.
“What we have to do, all the players and staff, and all the people close, is to help them to settle as quickly as possible.
“And the most important thing is they are two nice people and it’s good to have them with us.”
Record goalscorer Sergio Aguero is still recovering from the knee surgery that has sidelined him since June and could still be two months away from a return.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe