A 20-year-old scuba diver has died after being attacked by a shark off the coast of Queensland.
The man was attacked at around 2pm near Indian Head on the eastern side of Fraser Island.
A doctor and nurse at the scene provided first aid until paramedics arrived and were winched down by helicopter.
They provided emergency treatment but the man, who had been bitten around the legs, could not be saved and died at the scene, said the Queensland Ambulance Service.
The attack happened not far from where 23-year-old Queensland wildlife ranger Zachary Robba was fatally mauled by a great white shark in April.
Fraser Coast Mayor George Seymour told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that the attack was a tragic event for the community.
“Our deepest condolences go to this young man’s family and friends,” he said. “The loss of a young life with his future before him is a tragedy beyond words. We share their sadness and grief.”
At least four people have died in shark attacks in Australia this year.
A 57-year-old diver was killed off Western Australia in January and a 60-year-old surfer died near Kingscliff in New South Wales in June.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe