A senior MP has written to GB News to ask whether it has launched an investigation into presenter Dan Wootton after allegations were raised against him earlier this year.
The presenter and columnist is facing allegations he used a pseudonym and offered colleagues money for sexual material.
In July, Wootton used his self-titled GB News programme to admit he had made “errors of judgment” in the past but branded the “criminal allegations” as “simply untrue”.
Following the claims, the publishers of MailOnline announced in August his column would be paused while it carried out an investigation and his previous employer The Sun newspaper said it has launched its own probe into the allegations.
On Tuesday, Dame Caroline Dinenage, chairwoman of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee, wrote to GB News chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos, noting that the New Zealand-born presenter still features on the outlet’s programming.
“It is vital that viewers have faith in the media especially in the case of news brands, where truthfulness and accuracy are key,” she wrote.
“It is also vital that those working in and with the media can be confident that they are working in a safe environment.
“We would, therefore, be grateful if you could set out to us what, if any, investigations or processes have been undertaken since the recent complaints about Mr Wootton were publically (sic) raised, and details of the policies and procedures available to staff at GB News in the event they seek to raise issues about the conduct of individuals or the culture at the organisation.”
In July, Dame Caroline wrote to The Sun requesting details of the newspaper’s investigation into its former journalist.
The Sun’s editor Victoria Newton’s letter in response said the paper is investigating, adding: “We take these allegations seriously but we are in no position to comment further and indeed we make no commitment to make any further comment, depending on the outcome of our investigation.”
Wootton, who is known for his role in breaking the story of Megxit, the withdrawal of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex from royal duties, announced in January 2021 that he would be leaving his job as executive editor at The Sun, where he previously edited the paper’s Bizarre column.
He has since become a columnist for MailOnline, owned by DMG Media, which also publishes the Daily Mail and Metro newspapers.
He was previously showbiz editor at the News Of The World and appeared on ITV’s Lorraine as their showbiz correspondent, and was named showbiz reporter of the year at the British Press Awards on three occasions.
GB News and representatives for Wootton have been approached for comment.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe