An average of 70 fires a month in Scotland are caused by faulty white goods such as washing machine, tumbles dryers, and cookers according to new figures.
Statistics from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) show a total of 2,504 fires were caused by faulty white goods and domestic appliances between 2015 and 2017.
Microwaves and dishwashers were among other faulty appliances which caused fires during this period.
Scottish Liberal Democrat MP Christine Jardine, whose party requested the figures under Freedom of Information, warned consumers to ensure they are buying genuine produces in the Boxing Day sales.
She said: “These shocking figures expose the threat posed by faulty everyday appliances, from fridges to tumble dryers.
“Thousands of homes and families have been put at risk by faulty white goods over the last three years.
“As the boxing day sales kick off, people looking to bag bargain white goods should be 100% sure that they are getting a genuine product and not a knock-off.
“Landlords also have a duty of care to their tenants, whether they are long term or short-term holiday lets, to conduct safety checks on a regular basis.”
She said as the UK’s safety regime for such products is largely derived from EU-wide legislation the figures underline the importance of ensuring Brexit does not lead to an erosion of standards.
A Scottish Government spokesman said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service offer a range of guidance on fire safety and we would encourage people to consider requesting a free Home Fire Safety Visit to check or install smoke detectors and follow any advice they give.”
David McGown, SFRS chief officer, said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is absolutely committed to reducing the occurrence of electrical fires in the home and keeping communities safe.
“Specialist Fire Investigation Officers routinely investigate such incidents which may involve white goods, and monitor trends. We routinely share any intelligence with manufacturers, industry experts and partner organisations.
“The SFRS continues to work closely with Trading Standards and key safety groups, such as Electrical Safety First, to ensure that the general public are made aware of any emerging safety risks.
“This includes updating the information SFRS provide as part of our Home Fire Safety Visit Programme where we will visit residents and also check or install smoke detectors. We are particularly keen to support the most vulnerable to live safely at home.
“We would encourage the public to register their domestic appliances to ensure that they are kept up to date with product recall information and manufacturers safety advice.”