The new Forth road bridge will not open by the end of the year as planned due to “adverse weather conditions” in April and May, the Economy Secretary has confirmed.
Engineers had hoped to complete the Queensferry Crossing by December 2016 but that timescale has now slipped.
Last year The Sunday Post found out the delays would be significant. (Read the original report here)
The bridge is still expected to open before its contractual completion date in mid-2017, Keith Brown said in a written answer to Conservative Fife MSP Murdo Fraser.
Mr Brown said: “The contractor, Forth Crossing Bridge Constructors’, has advised Transport Scotland that due to adverse weather conditions in April and May 2016 exceeding expectations and resulting in an increase in days lost to weather, they are unable to achieve the target opening date of December 2016 – which is six months ahead of the contractual completion date.
“The contractors remain on schedule to complete the project ahead of the contractual completion date.
“The contractors have taken additional steps to mitigate ongoing weather impacts and have provided a revised timetable for completion to Transport Scotland and Scottish ministers.”
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe