Had enough of turkey? If you’ve still to host a festive dinner, why not try something just as traditional, with a festive twist.
For this Roast Rib of Scotch Beef with Cranberry, Port & Roasted Garlic Glaze, allow 100 – 175g (4 – 6oz) of raw meat per person for boneless joints and 225 – 350g (8 – 12oz) for bone-in joints. If you like your meat rare allow 20 minutes per 450g or (1lb) plus 20 minutes, for medium 25 minutes per 450g (1lb) plus 25 minutes and for well done 30 minutes per 450g (1lb) plus 30 minutes.
Temperature: Gas mark 4 – 5, 180C, 350F
20 mins prep
Allow 2-3 hrs for cooking
What you will need:
Lean boned and rolled Scotch Beef sirloin joint (Rib or topside joints could also be used)
1. Take a lean boned and rolled Scotch Beef sirloin joint and calculate the cooking time using the timings above.
2. Place onto a rack in a roasting tin and open roast in a pre-heated oven for calculated cooking time.
3. 50 – 60 minutes before the end of cooking time add 900g (2lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks, (this quantity would serve about 6), 3 red onions halved and 8 – 10 garlic cloves to the roasting tin or in a separate tray and drizzle with 15ml (1tbsp) oil.
4. After 30 minutes remove the garlic cloves.
5. In a saucepan, place 150ml (1Ú4pt) port and 60ml (4tbsp) cranberry sauce.
6. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and add to the saucepan.
7. Heat for 5 minutes until the cranberry sauce has melted. 20 minutes before the end of cooking time glaze the joint with a couple of spoonfuls of the glaze.
8. Repeat during the last 10 minutes. When the joint is cooked remove from the roasting tin and add 300ml (1Ú2pt) water or stock to the pan, stirring to remove any crispy bits.
9. Add to the saucepan with any remaining glaze, bring to the boil and add 15 – 30ml (1 – 2tbsp) gravy granules, heat for 1 – 2 minutes until thickened.
10. Serve the beef with roasted potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, seasonal green vegetables and gravy.
(With thanks to Quality Meat Scotland)
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe