THIS week’s bake takes the classic combination of honey and lemon and adds a touch of ginger for a gorgeous sponge traybake.
You can finish it with a drizzle of honey or simply add buttercream and enjoy!
We are loving your feedback on our bakes and are glad to hear you like the recipes as much as we do. If there are any particular bakes you’d like us to feature, email
email@example.com and let us know.
250g unsalted butter
250g golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs
5 tbsp Belvoir Honey, Lemon & Ginger Cordial
Zest of a lemon
250g self-raising white flour
For the buttercream:
200g soft unsalted butter
400g golden icing sugar
3 tbsp Belvoir Honey, Lemon & Ginger Cordial
Honey to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4/350F.
- Grease and line a 23cm x 30cm traybake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between.
- Slowly drizzle in three tbsp of cordial, add the lemon zest and mix thoroughly.
- Carefully fold in the flour, then spoon into the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While still warm use a skewer to make small holes all over the cake, then drizzle over two tbsp of cordial.
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, mix the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy, then slowly add in the cordial while mixing.
- Spread on to the cooled cake, smoothing with a palette knife.
- Drizzle a little honey over the top, if desired.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe