A Windrush victim who had to spend thousands of pounds to prove he had the right to live in the UK says he has yet to receive a penny in compensation.
Dundee dad Paul Cudjoe moved to the UK from Grenada at the age of 11 when his parents were recruited to work in textile mills in Yorkshire.
Last week it emerged that compensation was still awaited in 83% of Windrush cases despite promises of swift payments by the UK Government.
Former demolition worker Paul and his wife Frances discovered the government strategy to deport him when they went on their first holiday abroad in 2010. He was refused entry back into the UK and had to fight to stay here.
Only by supplying his national insurance number was he able to stay and apply for his right to remain here.
Dad-of-two-Paul, 65, spent most of his redundancy pay on legal fees fighting to stay in the country. He was not given a UK passport until 2018. He said: “My wife Frances and children were distraught when the British Government threatened to deport me to Grenada.”
The Windrush scandal emerged in 2018 when it was discovered that hundreds of Commonwealth citizens had been wrongly detained, deported and denied legal rights, despite having the right to live in Britain.
Only 17% of Windrush victims who have made compensation claims have received payouts, according to figures.
Home Secretary Priti Patel said: “We must keep up that momentum to help many more people get the compensation they deserve.”
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe