INTERIOR designer John Amabile feared he would lose his hand or even his life after being bitten by an insect while on a Mediterranean holiday.
The 54-year-old homes specialist and TV presenter spent five days in hospital after returning from a sunshine break.
He was admitted to Glasgow’s Queen Elizabeth hospital 10 days ago where it was discovered he had cellulitis, a bacterial infection that can be fatal if blood poisoning sets in.
The designer was given intravenous antibiotics in a bid to stave off surgery.
John – best known for TV shows 60 Minute Makeover and Better Homes – said he first noticed something was wrong when he was holidaying on Spanish island Formentera, near Ibiza, with partner Steve Gormley this month.
“I had been out riding a bike and afterwards I noticed a red mark on my hand,” he said.
After John returned to Glasgow he returned to Spain on a short business trip – and noticed the condition had worsened.
He was subsequently admitted to hospital.
John is recovering at home in Milngavie.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe