Cooking time: 1 hour. Serves: 4 to 6.
- 500g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 1 medium red or brown onion, sliced
- 2 pieces of stem ginger, chopped
- 2 dry red chillis or chilli powder
- ¼ kernel of fresh coconut or a small amount of coconut milk
- 200g broad beans
- ½ floret of broccoli
- 2 handfuls kale
- 1 large potato, diced
- 100g peas or sweetcorn
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1250ml water
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric or curry powder
- Ground cinnamon
- To make stock for the rice, pour the water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add a little bit of salt and, one by one, blanch the vegetables until cooked to the bite.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and removed, measure the water to ensure it is a litre.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or casserole pan (with a fitting lid) and add the mustard seeds and cinnamon. As soon as the seeds crackle, add the cumin, chilli, ginger and onion.
- When the onion turns soft, add the coconut and turmeric or curry powder, and sauté. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Preheat the oven to 130C.
- Once the stock comes to the boil, check seasoning then pour in a fifth of the rice. Stir gently to prevent sticking.
- Repeat intermittently until all of the rice is combined and the water is nearly absorbed.
- Add the vegetables, stir well, cover the pot and place in the oven.
- Cook for fifteen minutes before turning the oven off and leaving for a further 10 to 12 minutes.
Recipe from tilda.com.