Thanks to Kettle Chips for this tremendous recipe!
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 125g potatoes
- 1 banana shallot, approx. 75g (can be substituted for red or white onion)
- 25g self raising flour
- 3 free range eggs
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Knob of butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 150C fan.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place on a baking tray, cut side up, drizzling with a little oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven.
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Take handfuls and squeeze out as much of the juices as possible before transferring to a mixing bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the shallot and add to the potato along with the flour, 1 egg and pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Warm a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan on a medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. Divide the potato mixture into cakes and spoon into the pan, trying to keep them fairly round. Gently press the mix down to create an even, thick pancake.
- Fry until golden on both sides, transfer to the roasting tray with the tomatoes and place in the heated oven.
- Using the same frying pan, add a touch more oil and fry the bacon until crisp. Add to the tray in the oven.
- Add the butter to the pan and fry the remaining 2 eggs, before assembling. Enjoy with a dollop of brown sauce.