JAMIE CARRAGHER will not be returning to his role as a Sky Sports pundit this season, the broadcaster has said.
The former Liverpool defender was dropped from his regular duties on Monday Night Football after he was filmed spiting at the open window of a car.
He had been taunted by the driver, who was in the car with his 14-year-old daughter, with Carragher later saying it was ‘a moment of madness’ to react in the way he did.
Totally out of order & Ive apologised personally to all the family this evening. I was goaded 3/4 times along the motorway while being filmed & lost my rag. No excuse apologies. https://t.co/ofrNfiwhYH
— Jamie Carragher (@Carra23) March 11, 2018
A Sky Sports spokesman said: “Following an internal review, Sky has suspended Jamie Carragher for the remainder of the football season.
“Jamie has taken full responsibility for what has happened and we will ensure he gets the help he needs to guarantee something like this never happens again.
“Before the start of the next season we will sit down with Jamie to discuss whether he is ready to return to his role.”
I’ve made a big mistake & accept full responsibility. I am the only person to blame for this sorry situation, so please leave the family alone. https://t.co/HBuCBRyvJF
— Jamie Carragher (@Carra23) March 14, 2018
The driver of the vehicle told The Mirror that he had been targeted with death threats since the incident.
Andy Hughes, who believes Sky shouldn’t axe Carragher, said: “We have been feeling under siege. It has been really worrying.
“I have received threats, death threats and all kinds of abuse, and I don’t know how to deal with it. I worry for my daughter’s safety, I really do.”
Police are understood to have spoken to Mr Hughes after the video was published online, with both Carragher’s spitting and the filming of the incident while driving potentially punishable.