A huge fire has broken out in Glasgow city centre.
A section of Sauchiehall Street has been closed off as more than 120 firefighters work to bring the blaze under control.
Scottish Fire and Rescue have confirmed that everyone has been safely evacuated and there have been no casualties.
Firefighters are working hard to extinguish the well-developed fire that has taken hold of a building in Sauchiehall Street #Glasgow – everyone safely evacuated from nearby properties and no casualties. https://t.co/h3hgQV9BX8
— Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (@fire_scot) March 22, 2018
Residents are being advised to remain indoors and close their windows as a precaution.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay said: “Crews immediately and safely evacuated the occupants of several nearby buildings.
“We would urge the occupants of surrounding buildings to remain indoors and keep their windows closed due to the suspected presence of asbestos.”
Images on social media show thick smoke around Victoria’s Nightclub and Holland and Barrett.
An SFRS spokesman said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 8.18am to reports of a well-developed fire which had taken hold within the roof space of a commercial premises.
“Operations control mobilised a number of fire engines to Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, where firefighters are currently on the scene working to extinguish the fire.”
Glasgow City Council leader Susan Aitken has urged the public to stay away from the area and said the although the city is ‘shocked and concerned’, the most important thing is that everyone has been evacuated safely.
Just been briefed on the #SauchiehallStreet fire. @GlasgowCC resilience officers are on scene with @scotfire_glasgo & @policescotland colleagues. Obviously whole city is shocked & concerned but most important thing is everyone evacuated safely. Will share updates as I get them.
— Susan Aitken (@SusaninLangside) March 22, 2018
Renfield St is also closed between Renfrew St and Bath St and there is no access to Renfrew St from the West Nile/Killermont St junction.
— Glasgow City Council (@GlasgowCC) March 22, 2018
Iain Gordon, general manager of the Pavilion Theatre, said: “It’s getting worse, the flames are leaping out of the top now.
“Everybody is out of the area, they have all been evacuated.
“Our problem at the moment will be smoke damage because it’s gone right into the side of the building.
“We are very concerned about everything. The building has been there for a long time and is a major part of Glasgow.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe