This recipe has a cooking time of 1hr 10 mins and serves four.
Visit maplefromcanada.co.uk for more recipes.
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (preferably golden colour for its delicate flavour)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml dry white wine
- 1.3 litres beef stock
- 4-8 slices of French bread
- 140g Gruyere, finely grated
- Melt the butter with 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Add the halved and thinly sliced onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and maple syrup and cook for 20 mins, stirring frequently until caramelised. The onions should be golden.
- Add the thinly sliced garlic cloves for the final few minutes of the onions’ cooking time, and stir well.
- Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the dry white wine, followed by the beef stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins
- To serve, turn on the grill and toast the sliced French bread.
- Ladle the soup into heat-proof bowls.
- Put a slice or two of the toast on top of the bowls of soup, and pile on 140g finely grated Gruyere cheese and grill until melted.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe