This recipe is from Storecupboard One Pound Meals: 85 Delicious And Affordable Recipes by Miguel Barclay, photography by Dan Jones, Headline Home, £16.99, available now
- 8 red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- A Squeeze of balsamic glaze
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked and stalks discarded (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Set out a circular ovenproof dish about 15cm in diameter (or four small dishes).
- Chuck the red onion wedges into the baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then roast for about 25 minutes until softened and cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, lay out your sheet of puff pastry and cut out a circle, 30cm in diameter. If you want to make four individual portions, cut out four smaller circles that will line the dishes with a 5cm overhang.
- Add a squeeze of balsamic glaze to the onions, along with some thyme, then place the pastry on top and tuck in the sides. Brush with beaten egg if you want a professional finish and then bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown. To serve, invert the tart onto a plate or serving board.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe