Parents of pupils at schools affected by “blue water” have raised concerns over their children’s health.
Pupils and teachers were told not to drink the tap water at Buchanan High and St Ambrose High in Coatbridge in December because it was running a blue colour.
North Lanarkshire Council replaced pipework at the school campus, which was built on a toxic dump, after blaming corrosion in pipes for copper in the water.
Last week parents held a meeting to discuss concerns that their children have been suffering a wide range of health issues, including symptoms such as stomach ache, headaches, sickness and fatigue.
Fulton MacGregor, MSP for Coatbridge, has written to the council asking for a public meeting to ensure the staff and parents have confidence that they and the children’s health has not been affected.
A spokeswoman for North Lanarkshire Council said it had seen no evidence of increased levels of illness among pupils, and tests show water has met drinking standards since December last year.
She added: “Expert advice states that ingestion of very high levels of copper may lead to an upset stomach but we have no reason to believe that anyone would have ingested that amount.”