DOZENS of classic cars will set off from Clydebank in next year’s Monte Carlo rally.
The West Dunbartonshire town has been chosen as the Scottish starting point for the 2019 event.
It’s the second time the town has hosted the prestigious race, with people coming from all over the country to watch it start in Clydebank in 2012.
Thousands are expected again as the cars are flagged off on their 1,500 mile dash to the south of France from Aurora Avenue on Wednesday, January 30.
Paisley had hosted the starting point for the previous few years, but West Dunbartonshire was offered the opportunity to host the official start line once again after establishing a drivers’ stopover in Dalmuir Park for last year’s event.
The Cultural Committee approved the plan at a meeting earlier this week.
Convener Baillie Denis Agnew said: “It is a real privilege to welcome the Monte Carlo Classic Car Rally back to Clydebank.
“The event is famous around the world and should hopefully bring a significant economic benefit to our area.
“When we last hosted the rally not only did we have drivers from all over the country, but also visitors from throughout the UK. This event projects West Dunbartonshire onto a world platform.
“We look forward to extending our warm welcome once again to organisers, participants and spectators.”
Vice Convener Karen Conaghan added: “We have made such huge changes in our area since the Monte Carlo Rally last started in Clydebank seven years ago.
“It will be brilliant to bring spectators, enthusiasts and drivers back now so they can see first-hand the strides we have made in regenerating the area, especially in and around Queens Quay.”
Douglas Anderson, the UK co-ordinator of the event and the man responsible for bringing the Monte start back to Scotland a few years ago, is delighted at the return to Clydebank.
He said: “It is wonderful to have the Scottish start returning to Clydeside. The event grows in stature every year and we’re confident the 2019 event will attract another record number of entries and crowds to match to wave them off on their drive to the sunshine in the South of France. They’ll all be sharing the magic of the Monte.”
The event will see classic cars available for viewing by the public from 3.30pm, with the rally beginning at 6.00pm.
Both the Historique and Classique events are staged by the Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) and take place entirely on open public roads.
The event runs over eight days finishing in Monte Carlo on February 7.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe