CAMPAIGNERS are demanding a full suspension of mesh operations in Scotland after England announced stricter rules.
Last week, NHS England announced the suspension of mesh tape implants to treat incontinence, going further than the measures put in place in Scotland four years ago.
Former health secretary Alex Neil has condemned pro-mesh surgeons in Glasgow and Edinburgh for continuing to operate on at least 500 more women because he “requested” rather than ordered a suspension in 2014.
He said: “I was appalled some health boards continued using mesh, and hold them responsible for the women who have been badly injured as a result.
“We must now introduce a full suspension, and I call on our new health secretary to do that.
“It’s clear from what we’re seeing in Australia, New Zealand and now in England, that mesh should be banned.”
Elaine Holmes, of Scottish Mesh Survivors, said: “Alex Neil believed he was going to get full suspension.
“Now, we want our rules tightened to do what was originally intended.
“The evidence is clear.
“Surgeons must accept what everyone else can see.”
NHS England say the most used mesh tape implants, to treat stress incontinence, will not be used until next March.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe