Organisers of the Belladrum Festival say they’ve taken the decision to cancel the 2020 event “with an extremely heavy heart.”
The event, which was due to take place between July 30 and August 1, is the latest to be cancelled amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Festival bosses said that the safety and welfare of staff, suppliers, customers and the local community was their main priority.
Dates have been set for a festival return in 2021, between Thursday July 29 and Saturday July 31st.
— Belladrum Festival (@BelladrumFest) April 24, 2020
Nile Rodgers & Chic, Emeli Sande, Passenger and Shed Seven were among the acts due to perform at the festival, which takes place in the Belladrum Estate by Beauly near Inverness.
A statement from organisers said: “It is with an extremely heavy heart that we must confirm that Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival 2020 has been cancelled due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic.
“We had been progressing with plans to deliver our 17th outing but as the pandemic plays out across the UK, it has now become clear that delivering the event in 2020 simply isn’t going to be possible.
“The health and safety of our Belladrum Family, staff, suppliers and local community are our number one priority. We are wholly aware of the role Belladrum has to play in the much bigger picture of the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on our local community, emergency services and country. Whilst we are absolutely devastated to not be able to go ahead this year, we have to look forward to safer times in 2021.”
All 2020 ticket holders will have the option to transfer their tickets to next year’s event, and those who cannot make the 2021 dates will be offered a full refund.
More information is available on the festival’s website.
Earlier today, the TRNSMT music festival in Glasgow also announced that it would not be taking place as planned this summer.
Organisers said that they would try to get as much of the 2020 line-up as possible confirmed for a new dates in July 2021.
The latest event cancellations follow Nicola Sturgeon’s outlining yesterday of the potential exit strategy from lockdown.
Social distancing measures would rule out large gatherings”for some months”, she said.
The resumption of live music gigs, festivals, sporting fixtures and other events that would involve large amounts of people is in doubt until there is a vaccine or treatment available for Covid-19.
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe