ANDY MURRAY has released a statement saying he will have an ‘extended period of rest and rehabilitation’ due to his hip injury.
In a post on Facebook, the Scottish tennis player ruled out future events in Beijing and Shanghai.
He said: “Unfortunately, I won’t be able to compete in the upcoming events in Beijing and Shanghai, and most likely, the final two events to finish the season in Vienna and Paris due to my hip injury which has been bothering me the last few months.
“Having consulted with a number of leading hip specialists over the last week, along with my own team, we have decided that this is the best decision for my long-term future.”
Tennis ace Murray statement then went on to a more positive message, saying that the decision to take a break will result in him being able to reach his ‘best level’ and compete for Grand Slam titles next season.
He said: “Although this has been a frustrating year on court for many reasons, I’m confident after this extended period of rest and rehabilitation that I will be able to reach my best level again and be competing for Grand Slam titles next season.
“I will be beginning my 2018 season in Brisbane in preparation for the Australian Open and I’m look forward playing in Glasgow later this year against Roger for UNICEF UK and Sunny-sid3up.
“I have a fantastic team working alongside me to help me through this process and appreciate the support from them and all of my fans over this difficult period.”
Enjoy the convenience of having The Sunday Post delivered as a digital ePaper straight to your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Subscribe for only £5.49 a month and enjoy all the benefits of the printed paper as a digital replica.Subscribe